I clearly remember how intrigued I was with the movie Contact and I was very happy now at a later time reading the novel. The religious aspect of the novel was not as well transmitted into the movie and me personally I feel I'm quite the opposite of Ellie. She put her full confidence in science and the scientific method of discovering the truth of things, but then started to shift her believes as it develops.
I on the other hand grew up in a fully Christian family where demons and angels and evil spirits were a fact, not even faith. I was what many would label as a "religious nut" and now looking back on it I really was. But growing up away from my parents (dad mostly) I started to read more about science and psychology I started to change. I started to question everything and grew away from that part of my life; it’s been maybe 8 years since I was in church voluntarily. But despite that I still have a firm belief that there is something, say a god that did create the big bang and set evolution in motion. Also there are too many examples in nature that are to incredible to refute the possibility that something had hand in how things developed throughout the ages.
Now being a bit older and able to reflect on things I have realized that it’s not good to put oneself into a single category of what you believe in, and that it’s okay to take the middle way.
Not more than a few weeks ago my girlfriend, who is a Christian, told me her view of the Bible and what means to her. And to my astonishment she has an almost more scientific and logical view than me. But still she has kept her faith up her whole life, where as I lost it.
What I want to make out of all this is science and faith are not at all mutually exclusive to live a fulfilling life as a human. What I'm saying is, as an atheist you should not refuse the possibility of life beyond or a god, and as a Christian you can't take the Bible to its most literal sense and refuse anything else. This is generally called the Agnostic point of view, kind of.
But back to the novel. After she returned from the "jump" and was sure she held the truth of the existence of extraterrestrial life she was generally refuted. Because there was not enough proof and the religious part of the world did not want to accept the possibility of anything else. They did not even want to send someone else to verify it.
This could be compared with our today current technological breakthrough in LHC(Large Hadron Collider) in C.E.R.N. With this machine they are trying to find the "God particle" that created the big bang. And I believe that if they actually find it, it will be the same as when Ellie returned. Anyone, whose belief system is then put of balance, is going to refuse to believe it.
But throughout history all new advances go through several steps before they are generally accepted. The first step is usually outrage.
Even if we in the future found out how everything works, and we were even able to recreate it I think religion would still exist. But instead of looking at it as telling us how things are, it will show us how to live our lives to our fullest and show us a way to be good.
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Reflection on Carl Sagan's novel Contact
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment