Thursday, October 22, 2009

Snooping Bosses.

I just finished reading the Snooping Bosses article and was rather upset, as i used to be when i read about integrity-invasive procedures.
The article is about how Bosses in the US have a wide array of systems and programs to keep track of their employees. I can understand how the CEO or employer want to have a employee working at 100% efficiency all the time to increase to increase the overall productivity in a company. But what they don't seem to understand is that 100% efficiency will first off never happen, and isn't a realistic goal. Secondly all the surveillance creates discontent in the employees.

I remember clearly how my previous Boss asked me for my e-mail to invite me to his Facebook.
First i hesitated and reminded myself what stuff i write on Facebook and then also i thought it would be rather rude to say, No, to my boss. Reading this article made me really think on how much personal information you hand over with adding a single Facebook friend. Well for me thats fine since i hardly ever use Facebook, but most of my friends does.
I think that if i wasn't working in close community workplace i would really not want to give my boss access to my Facebook.

Back to the article, it continues showing examples on how peoples private lives are being violated. A very telling quote from a manager was "I don't give a rat's rear what they do at home. But what they do at work is all my business." Yes i understand that, but when you call me on my sick-day saying "Why are you at Disneyland and not at home sick". And this is made possible with the GPS tracker in your cellphone. I can imagine that this manager could squeeze in an argument why that would be all his business to.

For me to belive in any of the integrity invasive procedures i would really need to have statistics on if productivity at all is increased against how the employees feel about working in such an environment. Do they feel fear about speaking their mind? Do they always watch what they write and talk about? Do they purposefully change their behavior? Do they feel safe knowing everything they do is monitored and read?
Well i would say those questions should come to mind when a company is thinking about implementing this kind of procedure.

My feelings about this is pretty clear, i don't like taking away pieces of my integrity for the sake of my companies productivity. I'm also very hesitant to accept the argument of personal safety, as with cameras. One never knows where this information is going, and how uses it for what purpose.

I find it very interesting now this article is so similar to Marchall Brain's Novel, Manna.
For those of you that liked Snooping Bosses, i really recommend reading Manna.

Personally am a all or nothing kind of person. I'm willing to give up all my personal integrity, but only if everyone else does that to. Their can't be an elite at the top watching what everyone else does. And if that doesn't sound good, then back off my private life

No comments:

Post a Comment